Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Political Reflection

It's been awhile since I have taken time to listen to Pastor Wiens', 'This Good Word,' podcasts. I couldn't remember where I left off since my Podbean App was not updated ever since I bought a new phone. I had to recall my login information. To my disappointment, it did not save my last tuned-in episode.

It matters not. I replayed from Episode 59: Palingensia and remembered I have listened to this once before. As 15 minutes have passed within the podcast, Pastor Wiens mentioned the election. How appropriate. Boy, how the years have flown.

My voting rights didn't become eligible until my citizenship in 2006. I'm still new to the voting system. I know enough of the law and jurisdiction in which I have as any abiding citizen would. Politics have always been a touchy subject for me because of how my parents saw the government. Regardless of where we moved to, I was always mistreated by the locals. Apparently, humans do not like any humanoid half-breeds.

My reason for that comment was based on my experience when I was in downtown Raleigh. An elderly Black American woman asked me what I was and where I came from. She complimented that she has never seen anyone as pretty as I was. I told her I was from the Philippines and a Filipino-Chinese. She scowled at me and had the audacity to reprimand me for lying to her about how my country should breed their citizens. She walked off angrily, "You either are Filipino or Chinese; not both!" All she wanted was a dollar for a McDonald's meal. She was apparently more upset about my existence than not being able to provide her a dollar for a McD meal. I didn't have cash on me. Needless to say, it was a very stressful experience.

If I wanted to live in a perfect place, it would be where I can feel safe from all the judgmental and hate-mongering people. My world would allow people of different cultures, creed and gender identity to connect, mingle and work with each other. My world my not be perfect, but my house will always welcome those who need shelter from the asinine people. If you really don't like someone, why do you feel that you have the right to get rid of them permanently? Yeah, I know. I'm being hypocritical here. I have revisited this concept every time it occurs in my mind. What is my main goal? I just want to stop being harassed. The only way for me to do that is walk away. I have done so; many times. The moment someone touches me, it's game over.

In few occasions, these people do not seem to get the message. I will literally kill you if you wish to continue to harass me. I almost killed someone; or two. I don't like feeling that way. I get disturbed at the thought of killing someone or any living thing. It's like the Hulk's forewarning, "You won't like me when I'm mad. Please, don't make me mad." I have heard a lot of people getting killed for a lot less than causing me bodily harm. Someone in Texas got killed over by a truck just for being a movie critic. How badly did you have to offend someone to want to kill you like that? A young Texan woman had her boyfriend killed because she was afraid her father would punish her for allowing a boy in her bedroom. Granted her father took full responsibility for the senseless act, it still does not justify what she did.

It's been a running theme lately: promote bad behavior in order to get the highest ratings for stories. Someone's 15 minutes of fame has cause someone's life to be gone forever. Why? What are you trying to gain from promoting violence? Has there ever been a democracy that was implanted in its altruistic form of governance? The Philippines has always been a Republic country. I left the Philippines in 1995. President Ramos was not the best representative for Indigenous people in the Philippines. It is because of him, most of them are left homeless, ridiculed and in an impoverished state. They say, "Philippines is the happiest country in the world." Whatever. It's a wonder why we were conquered by the Spaniards for almost 400 years.

If a world leader cannot insight world peace amongst their own fellow countrymen, then they don't represent me. I don't care if they consider themselves a "God-fearing" person. That doesn't mean shit to me if you allow God's people to suffer. If you don't know who God's people are, then you're not really a "God-fearing" person, now; are you? You don't deserve to represent me.

That doesn't mean I'm going to rebel against the authorities. I'm not stupid. If I'm in a conflict, I will do my best to compromise. I look for ways to fix the things I am able and capable to do so. It was one of the reasons why I was integral to my Air Force squadron unit. I'm good at troubleshooting problems. I may fail the first try, but I will succeed eventually. The best part of working problems as a team is that, there are others who would rather wait for the best solution to come to pass than tackle it immediately without a plan. The only downside to working in a team is, there will always be one person, who would take all credit of the team efforts, when they barely contributed an ounce to the project or assignment.

I may have a short fuse, but I'm not irrational. Prove me where I'm wrong, what I did wrong and show me how to do the right thing. Just sitting there to only verbally attack me incoherently, is not going to solve the problem between us. The only time you will see me impede on someone's political or religious views is when one decides to express their opinions against a certain individual who is not "one of their kind." You don't get to speak for God. Neither do I. God will show you Themself.

 I challenged God once. I was humbled by the experience. The Love was overwhelming and genuine. I don't know how else to describe the experience; other than telling you how I felt. I felt loved, forgiven, and deeply dignified. Little and lowly "me;" feeling important to God. The God of Israel, who only chose the Israelites to be His children. My sense of purpose changed when I dedicated my life to Christ. I became a born-again Christian on April 14, 1995.

The tragic wars between Yugoslavia, Bosnia and Herzegovina devastated a lot of families. I never understood the animosity between the Jews, Muslims and Christians. We are all serving the God of Israel. America always wants to play the "Big Brother" role. More like a busy body youngest brother who can't mind their own business. Nevertheless, politics will always be about: "How can we benefit from this?" Why? Shouldn't it be about: "How do we stop this from happening again?"

The injustice towards women, effeminate men, LGBT, the elderly, orphaned children, the disabled, afflicted, deprived, and proletariat people by white bourgeoise men is revolting. What have I done for them, you ask? I address their needs. Even when I can't financially support them, I look for resources that would help them do so. Whether or not they choose to accept the offer, it's on them. It's like that fable where a man was atop the roof of his house due to a rising flood. He had asked God for help. A boat of a small family came and asked him to take hold of the bow so he won't slip. He refused the offer and exclaimed, "God will rescue me." Quizzically, they left him there. A helicopter passed by. The navigator asked him to grab the ladder. He refused stating the same complaint that they were not the ones God intended to rescue him. He was afraid of flying. The navigator shrugged and motioned to the pilot to leave the stubborn man there. The water was up to his waist, and he called upon the God once more, "I hope you have not forgotten me. I still need help. I can't swim. I'm afraid to fly." A bigger boat arrived and the captain told the man, "We have some room left. Come with us before the flood takes you." Again, the man refused. He didn't want to be seen with poor people. The captain scratched his head and left him there. Eventually, the water rose and the man drowned. When he arrived at God's feet, he asked him, "Why didn't you save me?" God looked at him longingly, shook his head, "My son, I sent you 3 chances to save your life. You took none of them."

Basically, do not let your fear and prejudice cloud your judgment to a good opportunity. We all take risks whether you intend to or not. It's not easy making the right decisions during a difficult situation. God will answer your call regardless of where you are in your life. You don't have to be a Jew, Muslim or a Christian to call upon God to hear your pain and suffering. He will bring these people to you, whether or not you choose to accept the offer. It's like what I told my daughter. There's a pie waiting for you. Even if it's not your favorite piece of pie, it's in your name. Even if it goes bad or someone else decides to eat it, a new pie will be made for you - waiting. The look on her face was comical, because it went from confused, awestruck, and later into wonder.

She has expressed her political views very strongly. We told her to watch what she says in front of people. It's not something she should discuss in a place of business or to anyone who may pose a threat to her person. If you have an expectation to your hopes and dreams, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. You cannot cheat yourself out of hard work. No one is born an artist, a ballet dancer or a teacher. Everyone has to learn and grow where they want to be. What we need to be with each other is to be patient, kind, compassionate, understanding, gracious, and loving.

When you're young, I get it. You want it now and you want it made. I could have been many things. I really thought I could be a Pastor. I could have inspired a lot of people - just like Billy Graham did. After reading his biography, 'Just as I Am,' it changed my point of view about the Christian church. The only thing I was good at was tinkering. That's what I became: Computer Technician. The Information Technology changed to soft services. I transferred my skills to become a Network Engineer. Even more so, I am still required to continue upgrade my skills. It's a never ending journey of learning and growing. Companies nowadays value that mindset - the ability to adapt to change and the mindset to learn and grow.

Sadly, society hasn't accepted that concept. We're still being labeled to where we belong. As for half-breeds, we're still considered a nuisance. There are so many of us. Now, I understand why the Harry Potter fan-base outnumbered the Star Wars' and Star Trek's fan-base. We're all muggles.

The activist out there are doing noble things for various controversial agendas society refuses to acknowledge. From Global warming, preservation of resources, human rights, and even up to equality for all. How do you propose all of these things come to pass, and yet still maintain a balance with Nature?

Brunei Darussalam is not a perfect country by any means; however, the fact that it has been at peace since 1984 is much to talk about. I grew up there since I was 5 years old. I left in 1997 to further my education in Malaysia. My mother emigrated us to the US in 1999. Even now, learning about its new policies with Sharia Law, not much has drastically changed. Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah still rules with compassion and grace among his fellow countrymen. My hopes that his son will follow in his stead and be a good example without the prejudices some of his Cabinet of Ministers have. His daughter is a lawyer, much to my surprise, has taken women's rights into consideration with the cabinet's legislative council. Women can now own land after a divorce, enlist in the military, and be in position of power. Yes, women in Brunei have been driving since I lived there for most of my adolescent years. Despite its prejudice against LGBT citizens, they have the freedom to leave the country - unlike in South Africa, where they are jailed or shot on site.  Even with my reservations on how I was treated by some locals, it's still nice to hear what Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah has done for his people. For the first time in my life, I've never seen him greet a woman in person before. He is usually on his train of cars and waves at the enamored women on the streets from the canopy. To see this with my own eyes, just amazes me. Kampong Ayer no longer have rundown wooden houses on stilts. Hopefully, the pollution has been minimized. Last time I was there, I remembered the water was black and murky. Even though I miss my friends,  I could never return to live in Brunei considering my identity. I could visit once in a while. I won't be safe living in the Philippines either. There's so much civil unrest. I can't live like that.

If you truly believe that world peace is unobtainable, you're not trying hard enough. Have you figured out my political views yet? You would think with all the rich people in America, there wouldn't be so much poverty and financial imbalance in the work force. I remember after graduation, we were all ridiculed for ever wanting to become a video gamer, a preacher, an artist, or an entertainer. Look at the world now. So many of them just making a name for themselves. No; I'm not envious. It's just depressing to see so many people embark on such a daring journey, and yet get lost in the limelight. They've forgotten (some; not all) to connect with their friends and family. I get it. There are people in your family and circle of friends, who will take advantage of your wealth. Great - distance yourself from them that do. Don't forget to connect with the ones, who love you for who you are, and keep you grounded from losing yourself in that limelight.

If Americans are entirely against communism, why then segregate the people who do not fit within their social status? The saddest form of racism is not only accepting your own ethnic group because they are not "pure" enough, but to glorify a celebrity, who makes their ethnicity known (Bruno Mars is Puerto Rican Jewish Hawaiian Filipino), show their pride towards them. Eh? It makes no sense.

If you cannot be consistent in your ideologies, you don't deserve to represent me. Your American Fundamental right to express your freedom, religion, thought, movement, and association; have a fair due process of law, liberty, self-determination, privacy, and peaceful assembly cannot impede on the Fundamental rights of your fellow citizens.  Another thing that is counter intuitive is, setting your fundamental rights to encourage others; yet not following through with them on your supportive platform. Why did you even bother? It's like ordering a strip tease on your bachelor party and not one single piece of clothing were taken off. Okay; bad analogy, but you get the point.

The point of the matter is, if you are in a position of power, why aren't you humble enough to accept others who are not like you. You can learn a thing or two. Secondly, why aren't you compassionate enough to use your resources to help others in need?



No comments:

Post a Comment