Friday, September 22, 2017

Receiving Grace

I re-read The Parable of the Prodigal Son from Luke 15:11-32 today. I remember reading this parable 3 decades ago at Sunday School. At that time, I didn't understand why the father didn't get upset like his eldest son was when the prodigal son returned. Nobody explained it to me until I listened to Pastor Wiens' sermon, This Good Word: Grace (Episode 7).

I remember a time when I was trying my hardest to make a sale knocking on people's doors while on my Medical Walking Cast. Several patrons have pitied me while others scolded me for not staying home in getting better. Even though I made 1 sale that day, I was determined to finish with 4 more. Unfortunately, my foot had swollen so badly, I could not feel my toes anymore. I gave a big sigh and called my boss to call it in. After I made my report, I looked at the map and found myself having to walk back several miles to the starting point where I was dropped off. I prayed silently as I slowly limped towards the street. Just when my foot was about to give out, the lady I spoke to previously that afternoon, had come to pick up her mail from her mailbox. 


I excused myself for bothering her and asked if she could spare me some pain killers. She asked what had happened since I was fine since the morning I had last spoken to her. I explained to her plainly that my foot had swollen and the pain had then shot up to my thigh. She not only came back with aspirin, but with water and a foot binder. I was speechless. She apologized to me for the earlier encounter and that she felt bad at how her spouse had treated me. I told her not to worry about it. She insisted; I accepted gratefully. I don't know about you, but that boosted my spirits to finish my walk back to the meeting point.


I do not remember if I had thanked her wholesomely. I do remember thanking her for her kindness. 


In a sense to what I'm trying to say is, I never realized this is what Grace is like. Just a gesture of giving wholesomely for the sake of others' beatitude. I never realized I was short-coming myself in accepting Grace as it is. Pastor Wiens is right. I should say, "Thank you," more often when given it freely. I had been so used to astucious gestures throughout my adolescent life, it's difficult to recognize Grace on the spot.


I've given so much of my time, effort and resources not realizing I was exercising Grace myself. Grace is definitely a wonderful gift to give someone. It makes me wholesome.




Thank you, Mom 

Here's why I thank you:

1/27/2006 you wrote:

"My dear Lei Anne,
As your Mother, I accept you as you are: pimples, warts, eye bags and everything. I accept your husband and children and all the baggages that come with it. I accept your weaknesses. You are wonderfully made... all of us love you.
You said, you are happy where you are, so be it... and we will continue to pray for you. As you are a wife to Chris, the Lord will bless you, and we give you our blessings, too."

Thank you for only noticing my weaknesses and blemishes for God made them my strength and beauty. Thank you for allowing me to see where you stand in God's Grace. You will be blessed in God's kingdom, filled with comfort; where you will rejoice and be exceedingly glad (Matthew 5: 3, 4, 6; 12).

Thank you for inspiring me to work hard towards God's will and Jesus' teachings. I abound in truth and wisdom. Most of all, thank you for being my mother. 

Agape always, Lei Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment